Friday, February 9, 2018

Card Transformation

Papertrey Ink is celebrating their 11th Anniversary this month (can you believe it?!).  As part of the festivities, they are hosting a Card Transformation challenge: transform an old card.  As soon as I saw the challenge, I KNEW which card I was going to transform.  It was already in my pile of things to fix/use up.  Here it is:
This was one of the first cards I created back when I started blogging back in 2009.  Hooo, boy!  I mean, it's not bad, but rather boring.  And better than that, the different layers had lost their adhesive, so it was falling apart.  It was in definite need of a make-over!  And this is what it looks like now:
I didn't take away a single thing, but the change is pretty drastic, I think.  I created the pattern on the base layer with PTI's "Guide Lines 2" pulling color from the image and adding some gray for contrast.  Then I embossed the gray layer, added a loopy border die along the thin pink layer, matted the image on some dark pink card stock with punched corners and restamped a "happy birthday" sentiment (stamped on a die-cut strip that was in my bits and pieces stash and matted on some mulberry paper that was also in the stash).  I finished it off with some pearls in the upper right corner and added some glitter pen to the flowers in the image.
I also added the gel glitter pen to the center of the pink elements in the background.  You can see the sparkle in the above photo.
This was a really fun challenge, and now I have a birthday card that I will actually send.  Now I might be motivated to revamp a couple more of those old cards I have lying around.

Supplies:
Stamps: PTI "Guide Lines 2" and "Hands of Time" sentiment; the image is Inkadinkado I believe and the original sentiment might be as well.
Dies: PTI loopy border die
Punch: Marvy Uchida notched corner punch
Cuttlebug embossing folder

Challenges:
Papertrey Ink--transform an old card
Creative Knockouts #252--birthday wishes
Pixie's Crafty Workshop #319--anything goes with snippets (transforming an old card may be the ultimate snippets use)
Crafty Calender--2 or more layers
Cuttlebug Mania--hip hip hooray (birthday)
Cards Galore--anything goes

4 comments:

Di said...

Ha! What a makeover Heather! I like the original card but you really lifted it with the work you've done - so pretty! And yes, it's great use of up cycled snippets as well :)

Hugs

Di xx

Carole J said...

Super card make over! Love the fuchsia pops of colour and the glittered flowers! Thank you for sharing your project with us at the Crafts Galore Encore February Challenge, “Anything Goes”. Good Luck and hope to see you again next month!
Carole x DT

Glittered Paws said...

Oh what a fun challenge - and it looks nothing like the original. How we grow as paper crafters.

julie_woolston said...

What a fabulous transformation Heather,a gorgeous card.
Thank you so much for joining us at Crafty Calendar.
Hugs Julie xxx